Saturday, March 23, 2013

Courage, kids, and Selma



I'm fascinated by courageous people -- probably because I do not have a courageous bone in my body. I'm a total chicken. I especially don't like to get hurt, so people who are willing to put themselves on the line for something they believe in have my heartfelt admiration. When I've asked people how they found the bravery to do something -- especially if it went on for awhile -- they don't consider themselves courageous. As Lynda Lowery said of being a jailed and beaten young teen during the protests and march for the vote in 1965: "I was not brave. I was not courageous. I was determined. That's how I got to Montgomery."

I was just in Selma for the annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee, along with Vice-President Joe Biden, Representative John Lewis, and some of the determined, courageous people who changed our national voting laws.Which was a crucial part of changing the whole discourse on civil rights in our country.

48 years ago, an amazing group of children and teens showed unbelievable courage. And here they are today, still speaking up. My heros.

2 comments:

LinWash said...

Wonderful video, Betsy! It gave me chills. I loved the comment, "I was not brave. I was not courageous. I was determined." I plan to adopt that motto as a writer.

Elizabeth Partridge said...

You're right! "I was not brave. I was not courageous. I was determined." A great motto for all of us writers. Always comes down to this, doesn't it?